This Chicken and Biscuits recipe is such an easy dinner recipe. A hearty chicken and vegetable stew is topped with warm store bought biscuits. The stew is made with rotisserie chicken and frozen mixed veggies in a flavorful chicken stew base.
There is no need to assemble this dish and then bake it in the oven, like other recipes. You will make the chicken and veggie stew on the stove top and then when it is time to serve simply top each bowl with a warm biscuit.
If you love this recipe, definitely check out my Creamy Chicken and Noodles Recipe too!
My recipe calls for store bought biscuits, but you can certainly make your own biscuits, if you prefer that. This Easy Drop Biscuit Recipe would be a great option. Or if you want a little extra flavor try these Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.
However, at my house this is an easy weeknight recipe so I prefer to buy a tube of flaky buttermilk biscuits and bake them while I make the chicken and veggie stew.
Rotisserie chicken is the perfect option for this recipe. You can use both white and dark meat to make this easy chicken and biscuits recipe.
If you want cook your own chicken that will work too. This recipe for Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken is a great option!
How to Make Chicken and Biscuits
With a large pot over medium heat melt 4 tbsp of butter. Saute the diced onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves until completely softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile bake an 8 count tube of biscuits.
Add 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken base to the onion mixture. Give it a stir to “melt” it into the onions.
Stir in ⅓ cup all purpose flour. Stir it for 1 minute to combine it with the butter and get rid of the raw flour flavor.
Slowly whisk in 4 cups of chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, until it thickens enough to coat a spoon.
Mix in 2 heaping cups frozen mixed veggies and 3 cups chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken. Reduce the heat to medium and let heat the veggies through for about 3 minutes.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with warm baked biscuits on top of each serving.
Storing & Reheating
Store any leftover chicken and veggies stew in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store leftover biscuits, covered, at room temp for up to 4 days.
The stew will thicken as it sits in the fridge. It will thin when you reheat.
To reheat the stew, simply microwave each portion in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Give it a stir and add a biscuit on top, microwave for an additional 15-20 seconds.
Chicken and Biscuit Recipe
Easy Chicken and Biscuits
- 8 count store bought biscuits cooked per package instructions OR use this recipe for Easy Drop Biscuits
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp (heaping) chicken base I use Better Than Bouillon brand
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well!!) chopped or shredded
- 2 cups (heaping) frozen mixed vegetables
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bake the biscuits per package instructions. Set aside for serving.
- Saute the diced onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in 4 tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook until the onions are completely softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken base, "melt" it into the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle in ⅓ cup all purpose flour. Stir it to combine with the onions and butter. Cook it for 1 minute to get rid of the raw flour flavor.
- Slowly whisk in 4 cups of chicken broth or stock. Increase the heat to medium high to simmer, until the broth is thickened enough to coat a spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in 3 cups of cooked chicken and 2 heaping cups of frozen mixed veggies. Cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies and chicken are warmed through.
- Serve the chicken and veggie stew in a bowl with a biscuit over top.