Chicken and Biscuit recipe that is easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes. A chicken and veggie stew made with rotisserie chicken and frozen mixed veggies is topped with store-bought biscuits. This is a great weeknight dinner!
There is no need to assemble this dish and then bake it in the oven, like other recipes. You will make the chicken and veggie stew on the stove top and then when it is time to serve simply top each bowl with a warm biscuit.
My recipe calls for store bought biscuits, but you can certainly make your own biscuits, if you prefer that. This Easy Drop Biscuit Recipe would be a great option. Or if you want a little extra flavor try these Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.
However, at my house this is an easy weeknight recipe so I prefer to buy a tube of flaky buttermilk biscuits and bake them while I make the chicken and veggie stew.
Rotisserie chicken is the perfect option for this recipe. You can use both white and dark meat to make this easy chicken and biscuits recipe.
How to Make Chicken and Biscuits
With a large pot over medium heat melt 4 tablespoon of butter. Saute the diced onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves until completely softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile bake an 8 count tube of biscuits.
Add 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken base to the onion mixture. Give it a stir to “melt” it into the onions.
Stir in ⅓ cup all purpose flour. Stir it for 1 minute to combine it with the butter and get rid of the raw flour flavor.
Slowly whisk in 4 cups of chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, until it thickens enough to coat a spoon.
Mix in 2 heaping cups frozen mixed veggies and 3 cups chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken.
Reduce the heat to medium and let heat the veggies through for about 3 minutes.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with warm baked biscuits on top of each serving.
Storing & Reheating
Store any leftover chicken and veggies stew in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store leftover biscuits, covered, at room temp for up to 4 days.
The stew will thicken as it sits in the fridge. It will thin when you reheat.
To reheat the stew, simply microwave each portion in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Give it a stir and add a biscuit on top, microwave for an additional 15-20 seconds.
Easy Chicken and Biscuits
- 8 count store bought biscuits cooked per package instructions OR use this recipe for Easy Drop Biscuits
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) chicken base I use Better Than Bouillon brand
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well!!) chopped or shredded
- 2 cups (heaping) frozen mixed vegetables
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bake the biscuits per package instructions. Set aside for serving.
- Saute the diced onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in 4 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Cook until the onions are completely softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken base, "melt" it into the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle in ⅓ cup all purpose flour. Stir it to combine with the onions and butter. Cook it for 1 minute to get rid of the raw flour flavor.
- Slowly whisk in 4 cups of chicken broth or stock. Increase the heat to medium high to simmer, until the broth is thickened enough to coat a spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in 3 cups of cooked chicken and 2 heaping cups of frozen mixed veggies. Cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies and chicken are warmed through.
- Serve the chicken and veggie stew in a bowl with a biscuit over top.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.