Apple Crostata is a rustic version of a apple pie or apple tart. Flaky pastry is filled with tart apples that are sweetened with brown sugar and cinnamon. Serve slices topped with a homemade caramel sauce and a scoop of ice cream! Or for another option top it with this Butter Rum Sauce and a little whipped cream.
If you have a lot of fresh apples, this Apple Spice Cake with Butter Rum Sauce or Instant Pot Applesauce recipe are amazing too. However if you are just looking to fill a craving for apples, you can check out these recipes too:
What is Crostata
A crostata is defined as an open faced fruit tart. It is similar to a pie without a top crust. The bottom crust is instead folded over about an inch around the sides to hold in the filling.
This pie crust recipe really makes this crostata over the top! It is the flakiest and most tender crust I have found. Not to mention it is super easy to make.
However, if you need a short cut in the kitchen you can always purchase a refrigerated crust at the store!
Apples To Use
This recipe calls for Granny Smith apples, which are crisp and super tart. That tartness balances the sweetness of the brown sugar and caramel sauce. However you can definitely still taste the tart puckery bite of the green apples.
If you want something sweeter you can choose one of these options, or a combo would be great too:
- Honeycrisp (will be really sweet)
- Pink Lady
How to Make Apple Crostata
Start by making the pastry dough and wrap it in plastic wrap, pop it in the fridge while you make the apple filling.
At this point go ahead and preheat the oven to 350.
Wash, peel, core and cut the apples. You can cut them in ¼ inch slices or ½ inch chunks. The photos show ½ inch chunks.
In a large bowl toss the apples with the lemon juice. Now mix them with the brown sugar, flour, and spices. Set aside.
Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out to about a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. This does NOT need to be a perfect circle, remember a crostata is “rustic”. Transfer the dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
Pour the apple mixture into the center of the crust, leaving about an inch of crust around the edges. Fold the extra crust over the edges of the apple filling. Optional – you can brush the dough with an egg wash for a nice golden crust.
Bake for 50 minutes.
While the crostata is baking make the caramel filling, then pop it in the fridge.
Let the apple crostata cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
Warm crostata is best served drizzled with caramel sauce and topped with vanilla ice cream.
Store leftover apple crostata in an airtight container. You can store it on the kitchen counter at room temp, like a pie, or you can store it in the fridge. It should last about 4-5 days.
Store any leftover caramel sauce in the fridge in an airtight container. It will last for 2 weeks in the fridge!
Apple Crostata Recipe with Caramel Sauce
Apple Crostata with Caramel Sauce
- 1 ¾ lbs tart apples approx 4 cups, Granny Smith apples work great
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 12 inch pie crust USE THIS PIE CRUST DOUGH RECIPE … OR you could also purchase refrigerated pie dough at the store.
- Optional egg wash for pastry – 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup karo syrup
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- Start by making the dough recipe that is linked above, then pop it in the fridge while you make the apple filling. Or if you are using store bought pie crust, skip this step.
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable silpat.
- To make the apple filling peel, core and cut your apples into ½ inch chunks. In a large bowl toss the apples with 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Now mix in the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and kosher salt. Stir to coat the apples with the mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out your pastry dough/pie crust to about a 12 inch round. This does not have to look perfect! A crostata is very rustic.
- Transfer the crust to your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pour the apple filling into the center of the crust, leaving about 1 inch around the edge. Fold that edge over the apple filling.
- Optionally – you can brush the crust with an egg wash to make a more golden crust.
- Pop the crostata into the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- While the apple crostata cooks make the caramel filling below.
- Let the apple crostata cool for at least 10 minutes and then serve in slices topped with caramel drizzle and ice cream!
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the brown sugar, karo syrup and butter. Let that melt together while stirring. Bring to a boil and then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the caramel to a heat safe bowl and then pop it in the fridge to thicken a little while the crostata finishes cooking.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.