Yes, you can make caramel sauce with brown sugar!! This is a super simple and foolproof recipe for Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce. It is made with 4 ingredients: brown sugar, butter, karo syrup, and heavy whipping cream. The brown sugar gives it an amazing rich flavor that is great drizzled over ice cream, desserts, or apple pie!
Here are a few desserts to try this amazing caramel sauce on:
If you are looking for a caramel candy recipe, you can check out this Rosemary Salted Caramel recipe from my friend Lauren at Zestful Kitchen!
How to Make Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce
This caramel is super easy to make and only takes about 10 minutes, and that includes getting the ingredients out!
Start with a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, butter, and Karo syrup to the pot. Stir it to combine and while it is melting together.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then boil for 1 minute, while stirring constantly.
Take the pot off the heat and whisk in the heavy whipping cream.
Store any leftover caramel sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks (which also means it can be made ahead!). It will thicken A LOT in the fridge, becoming more like the texture of a really soft wrapped caramel – see below.
Spoon out the amount of caramel sauce you will be using into a saucepan or microwave safe bowl.
Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. On the stovetop, place over medium-low heat, stirring often until it heats through.
If you want it to drizzle a bit thicker you can set it out at room temp for 30 minutes and it will soften enough to “drizzle” in thicker ribbons (like the photo above).
This Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce would make a great edible gift! Just make sure you include reheating instructions.
- Add some Hot Fudge Sauce and gift as a duo
- Include the Hot Fudge Sauce and some toasted pecans for making Turtle Sundaes
More Dessert Sauce Recipes
Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce Recipe
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the brown sugar, Karo syrup and butter. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.1 ½ cups brown sugar, ⅔ cup white Karo syrup, 4 tablespoon butter
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the heavy whipping cream until it is blended.⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- The sauce will be thin, let it cool to thicken.
- Store cooled caramel sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
- Stovetop place over medium-low heat, stirring often, until it heats through.
- If you want it to drizzle a bit thicker you can set it out at room temp for 30 minutes and it will soften enough to "drizzle" in thicker ribbons (see photo)
- This brown sugar caramel is great drizzled over desserts, pie, or ice cream!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.