Lemon Garlic Green Beans are an easy, fresh, and bright side dish. It is the perfect recipe to “fancy up” plain old green beans without a lot of extra work. The lemon adds a beautiful bright citrus note, the garlic gives it a spicy depth of flavor and the walnuts add a nice nutty crunch. Lemon Garlic Green Beans are the perfect side dish for your summer bbq’s, get togethers, holiday dinners, or just a Wednesday night.
Make the recipe your own
- I choose to use frozen green beans in this recipe for ease and availability. However, if you prefer to use fresh beans you certainly can. Just add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- If you don’t have parmesan cheese you could always sub in romano, gruyere, feta or blue cheese.
- The lemon/cheese mixture would make a great topping for roasted broccoli or brussel sprouts.
- Try adding your favorite herbs: basil, mint, oregano, or dill.
- Change out the walnuts for pine nuts, almonds, or pecans. (just make sure you toast your nuts first!)
I hope you give Lemon Garlic Green Beans a try in your kitchen.
*Note: this recipe was adapted from Ina Garten’s Gremolata Green Bean
- ½ lb frozen whole green beans
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 T fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 T walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Toss the beans in olive oil to coat. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for 7-8 minutes- they should be cooked thru but not browning. If you are using fresh beans you may need to add 2-3 minutes to the cooking time.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so they do not burn. If you are using walnut halves chop into smaller pieces after toasting.
- While the beans cook prepare the lemon mixture. Stir and mash together the garlic, lemon zest, parmesan cheese, and toasted walnuts.
- If the beans have dried out in the oven toss them one more time with a littlev olive oil or butter. Add the lemon/cheese mixture to the beans and toss to coat. Serve warm.