Lemon Garlic Green Beans are an easy, fresh, and bright side dish. It is the perfect recipe to “fancy up” plain old green beans without a lot of extra work.
The lemon adds a beautiful bright citrus note, the garlic gives it a spicy depth of flavor and the walnuts add a nice nutty crunch.
Lemon Garlic Green Beans are the perfect side dish for your summer bbq’s, get togethers, holiday dinners, or just a Wednesday night.
Variations on Lemon Garlic Green Beans
This is an easy side dish recipe to customize to your taste. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- I choose to use frozen green beans in this recipe for ease and availability. However, if you prefer to use fresh beans you certainly can. Just add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- If you don’t have parmesan cheese you could always sub in romano, gruyere, feta or blue cheese.
- The lemon/cheese mixture would make a great topping for roasted broccoli or brussel sprouts.
- Try adding your favorite herbs: basil, mint, oregano, or dill.
- Change out the walnuts for pine nuts, almonds, or pecans. (just make sure you toast your nuts first!)
Lemon Garlic Green Beans on the Side
This is a great side dish to plan whether you are having a casual dinner, a holiday feast, or a summer backyard barbecue.
Here are some great entree ideas that go great with Lemon Garlic Green Beans:
- Mango Jalapeno BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni
- Grilled Filet Mignon
- Bacon Jam & Blue Cheese Burgers
If you tried this recipe let me know how it turned out for you! Connect with me in the comments below, or by rating the recipe or reaching out over social media. I love hearing from you!
I hope you give my recipe for Lemon Garlic Green Beans a try in your kitchen.
*Note: this recipe was adapted from Ina Garten’s Gremolata Green Bean
Save the recipe for later. Pin it here:
Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- ½ lb frozen whole green beans
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 T fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 T walnuts toasted and chopped
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Toss the beans in olive oil to coat. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for 7-8 minutes- they should be cooked thru but not browning. If you are using fresh beans you may need to add 2-3 minutes to the cooking time.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so they do not burn. If you are using walnut halves chop into smaller pieces after toasting.
- While the beans cook prepare the lemon mixture. Stir and mash together the garlic, lemon zest, parmesan cheese, and toasted walnuts.
- If the beans have dried out in the oven toss them one more time with a little olive oil or butter. Add the lemon/cheese mixture to the beans and toss to coat. Serve warm.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.