This is a great side dish recipe that goes with just about any dinner. Simply pair it with your favorite protein: chicken, fish, beef, or pork, add a veggie and you have a great dinner.
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a delicious blend of oven roasted sweet potatoes, butter, balsamic vinegar, roasted garlic, brown sugar, and milk. They are still slightly sweet, but the milk, roasted garlic and balsamic vinegar mellow out the sweet flavor perfectly.
How to Make Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grab a 9×13 baking dish.
Cut the sweet potatoes in half, lengthwise. Lay them cut side up in the baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Choose 4 plump garlic cloves and place them, unpeeled, in a little foil packet Drizzle them with a little sprinkle of olive oil and close the packet up. Tuck the garlic packet in the side of the 9×13 dish with the sweet potatoes.
Place that in the oven for 35 minutes, flipping the potatoes half way thru. Make sure the potatoes are completely cooked by piercing them with a fork, if they are soft all the way thru pull them out of the oven. If they are not, keep cooking for 5 more minutes (but pull the garlic packet out)
Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes before handling them. If you need to get them done right away, fold a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel into your hand to hold the hot potatoes.
Scoop the sweet potato from the skins, discard the skins. Pinch the garlic cloves so they slip out of the peel into the sweet potatoes, discard the peel.
Add all the other ingredients to the mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or a fork, smash the potatoes and the garlic together and stir all the ingredients into the sweet potato mixture.
They are ready to serve!
Variations on Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
I think that these sweet potatoes are excellent just how they are. But, if you want to change it up just a bit, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Use half and half or heavy whipping cream for a creamier flavor
- Cut the fat by using extra virgin olive oil instead of butter
- Add chopped herbs: rosemary, thyme, or chives.
- Add fresh grated Parmesan cheese to add a great layer of flavor
I hope you give this recipe for Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes a try in your kitchen.
Savory Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 ½ lb sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 plump garlic cloves, with peel on
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon milk half and half or heavy cream for a creamier mash
- ¾ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grab a 9x13 baking pan.
- Put the cut sweet potatoes, cut side up, in the baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a little foil, drizzle with olive oil and seal the foil packet, place it in the corner of the 9x13 dish.Roast for 35 minutes, flipping the potatoes half way thru the cooking.Make sure your potatoes are fully cooked by piercing with a fork, it should slide in without any resistance.If they need to bake longer, remove the garlic and bake the potatoes an additional 5 minutes.
- Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes before handling. With a spoon scoop the potato from the peel into a mixing bowl, discord the peel. Pinch the soft garlic from the peels into the potatoes.Add the remaining ingredients (brown sugar, vinegar, salt, butter, and milk)Mash with a potato masher or fork until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate for a day or two and reheat in the oven or microwave.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.