This Skinny Margarita Recipe is a super flavorful cocktail, made with fresh squeezed juices. It is balanced in flavor; not too sweet and not too tart. The name “skinny” comes from the reduction of sugars typically found in the traditional Margarita recipe, by omitting the Cointreau and simple syrup and subbing in orange juice and agave instead.
A Skinny Margarita is an excellent choice when you are looking for a less sweet margarita, but still want all the fresh flavors!
RELATED: Frozen Margarita Recipe
Tequila: Since this is a nice and flavorful cocktail you can use a mid-grade tequila. We like these brands-
- Jose Cuervo Traditional
**If you or someone you are serving can’t have tequila, for any reason, try this Margarita Mocktail. It has similar ingredients but relies on tonic water to take the place of the tequila!
Agave: There may be a few options when you are looking for agave. Our favorite for margaritas is a light agave. It has a lighter flavor and doesn’t compete with the other ingredients.
Fresh Lime & Orange Juice: For the love of everything margarita… use fresh squeezed juices. Using a citrus press makes quick work of squeezing limes and oranges.
Kosher Salt: You want to make sure you use kosher salt for the margarita and the rim of the glass.
Step by Step
- Rim The Glass
- Measure Ingredients
- Shake the Cocktail
- Garnish and Enjoy!
Grab a flat plate and add a couple tablespoons of kosher salt.
Rum a lime or orange around the rim of an 8 oz glass OR you can rub a little agave around the rim of the glass. Dip the rim in the kosher salt.
Fill the glass with ice. Set aside.
Add a few cubes of ice to a cocktail shaker – or use a mason jar with a lid if you don’t have a shaker.
Measure in the silver tequila, orange juice, lime juice, agave syrup, and a pinch of kosher salt.
Shake the cocktail for about 20-30 seconds. Strain into the prepared glass.
Garnish the drink with a fresh lime wheel or wedge.
More Margarita Recipes
The Best SKINNY Margarita Recipe
- kosher salt
- fresh lime or orange wedges
Rim the Glass
- Place a tablespoon of kosher salt on a flat plate.kosher salt
- Rum a lime or orange around the rim of an 8 oz glass. OR you can rub a little agave around the rim of the glass.
- Dip the rim in the kosher salt, until it adheres to the rim.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker add a few cubes of ice.
- Pour in the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave and a pinch of kosher salt.1.5 oz silver tequila, 1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 oz fresh squeezed orange juice, .25 oz light agave syrup, pinch of kosher salt
- Pop the lid on and shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds. Strain into the prepared glass.
- Optionally top with a little soda water. Garnish with a fresh lime or orange wedge.Soda water, fresh lime or orange wedges
- If you are having a second (or third) skinny margarita, just add an extra pinch of kosher salt into the cocktail shaker and don't worry about rimming the glass with kosher salt again.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.