This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mom’s Dinner at no cost to you!
A dinner that everyone will love? Yes! Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni with Tomato Cream Sauce fits that bill.
It is a big yummy pot of carbolicious pasta, Italian sausage, garlic, onions, and spices, all mixed with a heavenly tomato sauce with just a touch of cream.
The best part is it’s all made in your Instant Pot, giving you more time to relax… or shower… or vacuum… or help with homework, whatever you like to do with your extra time. For me, that is finally sitting down for a minute! Phew
I love using my Instant Pot to make pasta! There’s no boiling water, stirring, waiting, straining. It all gets mixed together and cooked in one pot. Not to mention you only have one pot to clean at the end.
When the pasta is done cooking there will be a bit of liquid in the pot. Not to worry! It will look like this:
Once that liquid is mixed with a little heavy cream it thickens up just a smidge and turns into the most delicious velvety sauce.
Let it rest in the pot for just a few minutes and it will coat the pasta perfectly. If you have a piece of bread you will be sopping up that sauce to the very last bite.
If you don’t have bread you will be tempted to lick your plate. Go for it!
I personally have the 6 quart 9-in-1, to be honest I am not sure I will ever use all 9 features (like the sterilize or yogurt), but I guess they are there if I want them. The main features I use are the saute, meat/stew, soup/broth, rice, and pressure cook.
The main reason that I recommend these two Instant Pots is the size, 6 quarts. This gives you the space you need inside the pot to make just about any recipe, for two people or ten people!
Did you know that your Instant Pot can also double as a Slow Cooker!!! I plan to take advantage of that feature more this winter.
Buy the Instant Pot here, thru my affiliate link. It will NOT cost you any extra, it simply supports me and allows me to continue providing awesome recipes for free on Mom’s Dinner! Thank you♥
Variations on Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni with Tomato Cream Sauce
Here are a few ideas to change up this recipe to suit your family’s taste:
- Choose your own sausage flavor – hot, mild, or sweet – pork, turkey, or chicken sausage.
- Stir in some fresh grated Parmesan cheese at the end for a cheesier version of this pasta.
- Top each serving with a dollop of ricotta cheese.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil, chives, or parsley.
- Use your families favorite jarred marinara.
Instant Pot Rigatoni for Dinner
Since this is such an easy dinner I like to keep it all pretty simple and give myself a break. I will just warm some thick bread in the oven, like a ciabatta or baguette, and make our favorite bagged Caesar salad.
I hope you give Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni with Tomato Cream Sauce a try in your kitchen.
Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni Recipe
Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni with Tomato Cream Sauce
- 16 oz rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 plump garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups jarred marinara
- 3 tablespoon pesto store bought or homemade pesto
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes more if you like it spicy
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Cook the onions and garlic in the oil until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and sausage and cook, crumbling the sausage until it is cooked thru, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the saute mode off. If there is excess grease from the sausage, drain some off before moving on.
- Add the pasta, water, sauce, pesto and salt. Stir to combine. Try to have all the pasta at least touching the liquid.
- Lock the lid in place and turn the pressure valve to seal.
- Using pressure mode set the timer for 7 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, turn the pot off and do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to vent.
- Once all the pressure is released remove the lid. There will be a little liquid left in the pot.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir to combine. Let it rest for a few minutes, it will thicken as it sits.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.