Skip Cake, Texas Sheet Cake, Texas Skip Cake, Chocolate Sheet Cake… a whole lot of names for one little cake. One little delicious cake!! It is a rich, moist, chocolate-y cake topped with one of the best chocolate pour on frostings you have ever had! About 15 minutes after you pour it on the frosting forms a delicate crystallized layer over the top. And once you have had this frosting you will never forget it.
Now, if it is a low calorie cake or “diet” cake that you are looking for- turn back now… this is NOT the recipe for you! (I think there are 3 whole sticks of butter in this recipe… yup 3 sticks). But, if it is a delicious, homemade, chocolatey, moist, rich cake you are looking for you are in the right place. Read on-
This recipe for chocolate sheet cake with chocolate frosting is perfect when you want a dessert that is a bit more special than making a boxed cake or brownie. It definitely tastes and looks homemade. It is a great dessert for:
- Special celebration dinner: birthday, anniversary, straight A’s report card : )
- I forgot I signed up to bring dessert to the potluck.
- You just need a really good chocolate fix.
- Tuesday Night
Another great perk of this cake is that it is rich enough to satisfy your sweet craving. Yet light enough to have after a big dinner. I like to serve this chocolate sheet cake topped with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Variations on the Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe
We like this cake just how it is- straight up chocolate cake with the most delicious frosting. However, you can dress this cake up to match your own taste buds. Here are just a few ideas:
- Stir a 1/2 cup chopped pecans, peanuts, or walnuts into the frosting before pouring over the cake.
- Top with shaved dark or milk chocolate for a triple chocolate threat.
- Sift powdered sugar over the frosting after it is poured on the cake for extra flair.
- Add mini marshmallows to the frosting RIGHT before pouring it onto the cake (full disclosure- I have not tried this one!)
- Add a little mint extract to the frosting and then top each square with an Andes Chocolate Mint.
- Crush 2 Heath Candy Bars and add it to the frosting for a sweet crunch.
I hope you try this wonderful chocolate sheet cake and homemade frosting in your kitchen!
Homemade Chocolate Sheet Cake & Chocolate Frosting
Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sour Milk 1/2 cup milk mixed with 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 5 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare a large sheet pan (18x12x1) by greasing and flouring.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat bring to a boil 2 cups butter, 1 cup water, and 3 Tablespoons cocoa. Remove from heat and stir into the flour/sugar mixture. Next add 2 slightly beaten eggs (you may want to temper your eggs slightly with a tablespoon of the warm batter ), sour milk, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour into prepared sheet pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare your frosting so it can be poured on as soon as the cake comes out of the oven.
- In a saucepan over low heat mix together all 5 of the chocolate frosting ingredients. Stir often until it is melted and well combined.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven pour the frosting over the cake. Smooth with a offset spatula or knife. Let rest 15-20 minutes for the frosting to set before serving.