Caramel Apple Nachos are a great way to enjoy “caramel apples” without all the mess and work! It is a kid friendly snack made with fresh apples layered with caramel, nuts, chocolate chips, M&M’s and sprinkles! It’s a quick, no bake snack or treat that kids will love! It would also make a “healthier” dessert option.
For another great apple dessert check out these recipes for Apple Pie Bars, Apple Crostata with Caramel Sauce or Apple Spice Cake with Butter Rum Sauce.
Use whatever apples you have on hand, whatever is on sale at the store, or whatever kind you (or your kids) like. We happen to love Honeycrisp apples, so that is what we use.
Some other varieties that would work well:
- pink lady
- granny smith (tart)
- gala (sweet!)
Keeping Apples from Browning
The only snag with cutting apples is they can tend to brown quickly. To avoid this, chop your apples into slices, make a cool water bath with 6 cups of water and stir in 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Soak your apple slices for about 5 minutes.
Drain the lemon water and place the apples on a paper towel to lightly dry.
In this apple nacho recipe we use pecans, homemade caramel sauce, mini chocolate chips, and sprinkles. However you can use whatever toppings your crew likes, here are some ideas:
caramel, peanuts, peanut butter, sprinkles, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, almond slices, dried cranberries, melted white chocolate, white chocolate chips, Reese’s Pieces, mini marshmallows
Elegant (Adult) Caramel Apple Nachos
With these toppings the apple nachos can tend to look more kid friendly than something you would serve at an adult dinner. To keep them looking more adult friendly try these toppings:
Caramel pecan sauce (recipe below), milk and/or dark chocolate drizzle, crunchy toasted coconut chips (like the ones from Bare), and crumbled brownie brittle.
You have 4 options for your caramel topping.
- You can buy the tub of caramel sauce that is usually near the apples in the grocery store during the fall.
- Make the homemade caramel sauce that is in the recipe card below. Let it cool in the fridge so it thickens a little before drizzling.
- Melt caramels (the individually wrapped ones, like Kraft) on the stove top.
- Make the Butter Rum Sauce. It is a caramel-like sauce that is made with a lot of butter and a little dark rum.
More Kid Friendly Recipes to Love
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Caramel Apple Nachos
- 3-4 large fresh apples honeycrisp is a great option
- mini chocolate chips
- mini M&M's
Caramel Sauce (or see notes for other options)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup karo syrup
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans or any other nut that you like!
Apple Bath to Prevent Browning
- 6 cups cool water
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Caramel Pecan Sauce
- Start by making the caramel sauce – in a small saucepan combine the brown sugar, butter, and karo syrup, stir together to combine. Bring to a boil and stir constantly while boiling for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream. Stir in the pecans. Pop the caramel sauce in the fridge for about 30 minutes to cool and thicken while you prep the nachos. TIP: This caramel sauce can also be made up to 2 weeks in advance and kept in the fridge. It will get very thick in the fridge. Just warm a little on the stovetop when you are ready to use it!
Caramel Apple Nachos
- Wash and slice your apples into wedges, removing the inner core and seeds.
- In a large bowl combine the 6 cups cool water with 3 tablespoon lemon juice. Pop the apples into this liquid and let sit for 5 minutes. This will prevent your apples from browning for quite a while.
- Drain the liquid from the apples and place them on a couple paper towels to dry a little.
- Arrange the apple slices in a pinwheel pattern on a plate.
- Drizzle with the the caramel pecan sauce. Sprinkle on the mini chocolate chips, mini M&M's and sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Seriously the best idea ever!!