Perfect Fresh Lemonade only takes 3 simple ingredients: fresh lemons, sugar, and water, and is such a refreshing treat. This homemade lemonade recipe has the perfect balance of sweetness, tartness, and citrus freshness!
Once you make this fresh squeezed lemonade you will have a hard time going back to the powder stuff!
How to Make Fresh Lemonade
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Especially if the recipe only calls for 3 simple ingredients: lemons, water, sugar!
Start with a small pot on the stove, over medium low heat. Add in 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup water. Also add in the rind of 1 lemon.
Let that warm on the stove for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, juice 5-6 lemons until you have 1 cup of fresh lemon juice. Strain any pulp and seeds out of the juice. (you can keep the pulp if you prefer, but definitely remove any seeds!)
In a large pitcher, mix the fresh lemon juice with 4 cups of water.
Once the sugar and water mixture is ready remove the lemon rinds and stir it into the pitcher with the lemon juice/water mixture.
Serve over ice! This should be enough to serve about 8 people.
Keep in a pitcher, in the fridge, for up to one week.
Tricks to Getting More Juice from Lemons
If you bought lemons that are less than juicy, there are a few tricks to make sure they give up all their juice!
- Roll the lemon across the counter, under the palm of your hand, until it starts to soften.
- Microwave your lemon for about 20 seconds.
- Use a lemon reamer – this is the one I use- Wood Lemon Reamer
If you are feeling extra fancy, you can add some yummy flavors to your homemade fresh lemonade:
- Mint Lemonade: add some mint leaves in with the water, sugar and lemon rind. Serve with mint leaves.
- Cherry Lemonade: add a little grenadine and a maraschino cherry in each glass served.
Perfect Fresh Lemonade Recipe
- 5-6 fresh lemons
- 5 cups water divided
- 1 cup white sugar
- Start by making a lemon simple syrup – place a small pot over medium/low heat on the stovetop. Pour in 1 cup water and 1 cup white sugar. Remove the rind from 1 lemon and place that in the pot as well. Give it a stir and let it warm for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile juice 5-6 lemons until you have 1 cup of fresh lemon juice. Remove the seeds from the juice, removing the pulp is optional.
- Remove the lemon simple syrup from the stove and discard the lemon rind.
- In a large pitcher combine the 1 cup fresh lemon juice, 4 cups cold water, and the lemon simple syrup.
- Stir together and serve over ice!
Optional flavor add ins:
- Mint Lemonade: add fresh mint sprigs in with the water, sugar and lemon rind. Serve each glass with a fresh mint sprig.Cherry Lemonade: serve each glass with a little grenadine and a maraschino cherry.