You can have a margarita with the traditional salt rim… or you can take it up a notch by making this Homemade Lime Margarita Salt. It is a super simple mixture of lime zest and kosher salt and it only takes a few minutes to make. Then you can keep it in your bar or kitchen for up to a month.
Step by Step Lime Margarita Salt
- Zest 1-2 limes.
- Microwave the lime zest, 30 seconds.
- Mix zest with kosher salt.
- Use on the rim of your favorite margarita.
How To Make the Salt Stick
There are a few different ways you can get the lime margarita salt to stick to the rim of your glass.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of the glass, then dip into the salt.
- Dip the rim of the glass in agave or honey and then into the salt.
- With a pastry brush, lightly brush a patch of agave on the glass, then dip or sprinkle the kosher salt on. You can see an example of this in the Frozen Mango Margarita Post.
- Use a margarita salt kit, like this one from amazon. Fill the wet side with sugar water (simple syrup) and the other side with your lime margarita salt.
Some Favorite Margaritas
Lime Margarita Salt Recipe
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt
- zest of 1 to 2 limes
- Rinse the limes and dry completely.
- With a zester or microplane, zest the lime onto a microwave safe plate. Just zest until the lime turns light green. Once you hit the white pith it can be bitter.
- Microwave the lime zest for 30 seconds to slightly dry.zest of 1 to 2 limes
- Add the kosher salt to the lime zest, with clean hands rib the salt and lime zest together.2 tablespoon kosher salt
- Use for the rim of all your tequila cocktails that need a salty rim. (see notes for cocktail recipes.)
- Can be stored up to 1 month at room temp, in an airtight container.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.