One of the best things about summertime is the abundance of all the fresh fruits, berries, and veggies. I live in the midwest so this bounty only lasts about 4 months – and I take advantage of every last minute! This recipe for Summer Berry Cobbler is a great way to celebrate all those summer berries when they are at their ripest and most flavorful. Not to mention they are also super inexpensive during these summer months!
The warm berries are so delicious in this dessert and the sweet syrupy juice they render during cooking is so rich in flavor. The topping is not a traditional “oat crumble” instead it has a lighter topping of sweet vanilla cake which makes it a great summer dessert. When you add a little ice cream or fresh whipped cream this Summer Berry Cobbler is the perfection. It is definitely company worthy!
Kind of a Funny Dessert
I found this dessert recipe (was actually peach cobbler) in a magazine about 15 years ago… cut it out and saved it in my recipe box. I wish I knew what magazine it was from so I could give a shout out to whoever came up with this method of putting the batter on the bottom and the filling on top. It is completely counter intuitive,usually the filling or fruit would go on the bottom and the batter would be on the top, but it works every single time! Don’t be tempted to stir the mixture together in the pan. Leave all the ingredients separate (butter, batter, and fruit)- it works – I promise! The batter rises to the top during cooking and gets all sorts of buttery, sugary sweet, and delicious!
Make This Cobbler Your Own
I like to use the combo of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries this time of year. However, you can always change it up to fit your taste. Blackberries and blueberries could be a super delicious combo. Strawberry and rhubarb would be another combo I think I would love. I have also had this cobbler using peaches (the original recipe) and it is wonderful! Really, you can try any fruit that sounds good and is in season.
Whatever combo you choose don’t forget the ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy every last bite!
Summer Berry Cobbler
- 2 cups fresh strawberries quartered
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large pot over medium heat combine the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and delicately. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt- whisk until combined. Add the milk and whisk just until it comes together- do not over whisk. Set aside.
- Melt the butter.
- Time to assemble: Pour the melted butter into a 13x9x2 pan. Pour the batter on top of the butter - DO NOT STIR! Pour the berry mixture gently on top of the batter- DO NOT STIR!
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the batter has risen to the top and is golden brown and the berries are bubbling thru and are thick and syrupy.
- Enjoy with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.