Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups are a delicious breakfast recipe, and they are good for you! They are full of fresh vegetables, eggs, egg whites, and seasonings nothing else!
The nice thing about this recipe is that it can be fully customized to suit your taste. Add in any vegetables that you love or that you have on hand. Or if you want to add turkey bacon or turkey sausage for an extra protein boost, that is totally up to you!
You can absolutely use any vegetables that you like or that you have on hand. This is a great recipe to use up vegetables that are starting to go soft in your vegetable crisper. The most important part is that you have 3 cups total of vegetables to saute.
When I photographed this recipe I used cremini mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, red onion, and fresh broccoli, it was a great combo!
How to Make Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups
To start this recipe preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Also prepare a 12 cup muffin tin by liberally greasing each cup with baking spray or oil. Since there is little to no fat in these egg cups they will stick to your muffin tin if you don’t grease the cups well.
In a large nonstick skillet add your 3 cups of chopped and diced veggies, saute for about 4-5 minutes until they are just starting to soften. Off the heat add in the salt and herbs.
Portion out the veggies equally in the 12 muffin cups. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl whisk together 4 whole eggs and 1 cup of egg whites. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies in the muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
Pop the breakfast egg cups in the oven for 12 minutes. When they come out of the oven let them cool completely for 5-10 minutes before trying to remove them from the muffin tin.
When they are ready run a sharp small knife around the edge of each cup to release it from the muffin tin.
These are amazing served on top of an english muffin.
Storing and Reheating
Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups are great for busy mornings or breakfast on the go.
Simply store your cooled egg cups in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week. To reheat place on a paper towel or microwave safe plate and microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups Recipe
Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups
- 3 cups your favorite raw/fresh veggies, diced peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, squash…
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra oil for greasing the muffin tin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 4 whole large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites see notes
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°. Also prep a 12 cup muffin tin by liberally greasing each up cup. Do not skimp on this step, since there is little to no fat in this egg mixture they will stick to your muffin tin if you don't grease it well. Use olive oil, coconut oil, or baking spray (whatever oil you prefer).
- In a skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add your 3 cups diced veggies. Saute lightly for about 4 minutes, just until they start to soften. Off the heat stir in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/8 tsp onion powder, and 1/8 tsp garlic powder.
- Portion the veggies equally into the muffin tin cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together 4 whole eggs and 1 cup egg whites. Whisk until it is completely combined and all the yolks are blended.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the veggies in the muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Pop the pan into the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes before trying to remove from the pan.
- To remove the egg cups simply run a sharp knife around the edge of each egg cup. They should pop right out!
- These are amazing served on top of an english muffin that has been drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.