A Paloma is a classic grapefruit cocktail that is made with grapefruit soda and tequila. It is a refreshing, slightly sweet and bitter cocktail. We have elevated this Paloma recipe by using fresh grapefruit juice and agave. If you love grapefruit then this is the perfect cocktail for you!
Why This is a Great Drink
- We elevate the Paloma cocktail by using fresh grapefruit juice instead of just grapefruit soda.
- The agave syrup blends with the tequila and gives the cocktail the perfect amount of sweetness.
- It is a great alternative to a Traditional Lime Margarita.
The fresh ingredients of a Paloma makes it so good! You can use fresh squeezed grapefruit juice or in a pinch use a store bought juice.
Tequila – for a paloma I definitely prefer a silver/blanco tequila. The limey saltiness pairs perfectly with the grapefruit. However, a reposado would be nice too!
I wouldn’t recommend an anejo, leave that for more liquor forward cocktails like the Tequila Cobbler.
Here are some of the tequila brands that we like here at Mom’s Dinner:
- Casamigos ($$$)
- Cazadores ($$$)
- Espolon ($$)
- Jose Cuervo Traditional ($)
Grapefruit – To keep this a nice elevated cocktail we recommend using fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. However if you are making more than 3 cocktails you might want to buy a quality grapefruit juice at the store.
If you are having a full on party check out this Grapefruit Margarita Pitcher, it’s easy to put together and everyone can pour their own drink!
Related Tequila Cocktail Recipes
Fresh Grapefruit Paloma Recipe
- 2 ounces fresh squeezed grapefruit juice **
- 1.5 ounces silver tequila
- 0.5 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice
- .25 ounces up to .5 ounces agave syrup (depending how sweet you like your cocktails)
- 2 ounces club soda
- grapefruit wedges/pieces or lime wedges/wheels
- kosher salt
- Prep a glass by running a grapefruit piece around half or the whole rim. Dip in kosher salt so it sticks to the rim.Fill the glass with crushed ice.
- In a cocktail shaker add some ice cubes. Pour in the grapefruit juice, tequila, lime juice and agave.If you don't like it sweet just add .25 oz agave. If you like it sweeter go up to .50 oz.
- Shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds.
- Stain into your prepared glass, top with club soda/soda water. Garnish with a fresh grapefruit wedge or lime wheel.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.