This Easy Egg Salad Recipe starts with a foolproof way to make hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel. Those eggs get mixed with a little mayo, mustard, green onions, celery, and is finished with sugar and salt.
This is the best egg salad recipe made only with classic ingredients, and it makes a damn good egg salad sandwich! It is the perfect way to use up leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter.
If you love egg salad you probably love a good deviled egg too!
How to Hard Boil Eggs for Egg Salad
Now if you have an Instant Pot, then you are in luck! Using the 5-5-5 Method for hard boiled eggs is truly foolproof. The eggs are perfectly cooked every time and the egg literally slips right out of the shell!
Follow the link above to read more about the Instant Pot 5-5-5 method, or follow these easy instructions:
- trivet in the pot, add 1 cup of water
- place the eggs on the trivet
- 5 minute pressure cook on high
- 5 minute natural release, quick release remaining pressure
- 5 minute ice bath
If you do not have an Instant Pot then you can cook them the traditional way of boiling on the stove top.
- Place 6-12 eggs in a pot and cover with water, plus an additional 1-2 inches of water above the eggs.
- Bring the pot to a rolling boil.
- Turn the heat off but keep the pot on the hot burner. Leave the eggs in the hot water for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the water and run cold water (you can add ice too) to stop the eggs from cooking.
How to Make Egg Salad
Finely chop 6 hard boiled eggs. Chop ¼ cup green onions and dice ⅓ cup celery.
In a mixing bowl stir together the chopped eggs, ¼ cup green onions, ⅓ cup diced celery, ⅓ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon sugar.
I recommend letting it sit for 5-10 minutes for the flavors to combine. If you can make it the day before the flavors are even better the next day, like chili!
That’s it! That is how easy it is to make this Egg Salad!
Troubleshooting Egg Salad
Everyone has their own tastes when it comes to egg salad. I prefer just a classic recipe. But if you like it with a little heat, a little sweeter, or tangier, here are some ways to troubleshoot your egg salad:
Troubleshooting Egg Salad
To add heat: add a little horseradish, start with ½ teaspoon and add more until it is to your liking. Another option is to swap the yellow mustard for dijon mustard.
To add sweetness: two options here- 1. swap the mayo for miracle whip. 2. bump up the sugar to 1 tsp.
To add tang: add a splash of white vinegar, start with a ¼ teaspoon and taste and add more if needed.
Too salty: Add 2 additional chopped hard boiled eggs and another 1 tablespoon mayo and ½ teaspoon mustard.
Too sweet: Add a ¼ teaspoon white vinegar and 1 tablespoon mayo.
Creamier: For a saucier or creamier egg salad add 1 tablespoon mayo and ½ teaspoon mustard.
Egg Salad Sandwiches
I have two favorite ways to eat egg salad- on a sandwich or as a dip with potato chips!
To make an egg salad sandwiches simply spoon a heap of egg salad on to your bread choice (some of my favorite egg salad sandwich breads are croissants, brioche buns, or whole grain bread). You can top it with lettuce and tomato or just eat as is!
More Egg Recipes
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Easy Egg Salad Recipe
- 6 hard boiled (large or extra large) eggs diced
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onions
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot – 5-5-5 Method trivet in the pot, add 1 cup of waterplace the eggs on the trivet5 minute pressure cook on high5 minute natural release, quick release remaining pressure5 minute ice bath
- Stove TopPlace 6-12 eggs in a pot and cover with water, plus an additional 1-2 inches of water above the eggs.Bring the pot to a rolling boil.Turn the heat off but keep the pot on the hot burner. Leave the eggs in the hot water for 10-12 minutes.Drain the water and run cold water (you can add ice too) to stop the eggs from cooking.
How to Make Egg Salad
- Place the 6 diced hard boiled eggs, ⅓ cup diced celery, ¼ cup chopped green onions, ⅓ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon sugar in a mixing bowl, stir by hand thoroughly until the mayo and mustard are coating everything.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Serve on bread for egg salad sandwiches or as a dip with chips.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
My whole family LOVES it!