This recipe for Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is just as flavorful as our classic chicken noodle soup, but thickened up to creamy perfection! It is FULL of diced veggies like carrots, onions and celery. Then a flavorful stock is added with some chicken base for an extra boost. Tender chicken and hearty kluski noodles are added and it is all simmered to perfection. Finally it gets a creamy kick from a secret creamy chicken soup ingredient, evaporated milk!
You are going to be beaming at dinner when you serve this crazy delicious Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup to your family and friends.
And for all you chicken soup lovers, try this Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup or Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili next! If you have picky kids in the house, this Chicken Noodle Soup for Kids will be a hit.
RELATED: Find all our Soup Recipes here.
The BEST Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
We don’t take our chicken noodle soups lightly in the Mom’s Dinner Test Kitchens! It is crucial that they are PACKED with flavor…. none of this light chicken broth that doesn’t taste like chicken.
Chicken Base, which is like pumped up chicken bouillon, is key to any good chicken noodle soup, we love the Better Than Bouillon brand.
We like the chicken soups to be filled with the things you love; veggies, tender chicken and plenty of noodles.
Speaking of noodles, we don’t go for those dry egg noodles that are always disappointing! Don’t you agree!? We love a thick noodle like the frozen egg noodles in this Classic Chicken Noodle Soup, or a hearty Kluski noodle like we use in this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe and this Kid’s Chicken Noodle Soup. It makes a huge difference!
Chicken- This is a great time to use already cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or Costco. You can also bake a combo of chicken breasts and thighs at 350° for about 25 minutes and then shred or chop the chicken.
PRO TIP: Shred warm chicken in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment for about 20 seconds. Works like a charm!
Veggies- A traditional mix of carrots, celery, onion and garlic are added to the pot to get this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup started.
Chicken Base- This is one of the secrets to really really good chicken noodle soup. It is like chicken bouillon times 1000. You can find it in the soup aisle, near the bouillon. It comes in a jar and is in a paste form. We prefer the Better Than Bouillon brand.
Chicken Stock- A stock will always be more flavorful than a broth.
Flour- Adding flour to the veggies and oil makes a roux, which helps thicken liquid. So that when you add the chicken stock the broth starts to thicken, giving it a creamy texture.
Evaporated Milk- This is a wonderful “secret ingredient” to this chicken soup. It is added at the end to give a creaminess. Evaporated milk is sturdy enough to hold up to the soup and any simmering/boiling/reheating.
You may not have heard of kluski noodles before, but they are a traditional chicken soup noodle. Think about a can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup, those are kluski noodles!
They are somewhere between a flat dumpling and a spaghetti noodle. Heartier than spaghetti or regular pasta, but thin enough to be a soup noodle and not a dumpling.
Note that this recipe has only been tested using Kluski noodles.
At the grocery store you can find kluski noodles either in the pasta aisle or the soup aisle. At my grocery store I find them in the pasta aisle, but they are not with the commercial box pastas. They are with the specialty pastas, like the dry dumplings, flat dumplings and other “Homemade” style noodles.
Step By Step
- Sauté the veggies.
- Make a roux.
- Add chicken stock.
- Add chicken, noodles, seasonings and milk.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add in the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 5-10 minutes until they are starting to become tender.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Whisk in the chicken stock/broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer partially covered for 15-20 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
Taste for additional seasonings.
Storing & Reheating
Store any leftovers in the fridge, in an air tight container, for up to 4 days. Note that this soup will thicken in the fridge as it cools. You may need to reconstitute with broth, water or milk when reheating.
Side Dishes For Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Most of the time when we have this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner I just add some crackers or a crusty ciabatta bread.
If you want to have a heartier dinner you could add a green salad like this side salad with warm balsamic vinaigrette or Caesar salad. A small tray of sandwiches with ham, provolone cheese, and mayo/mustard would be great too. Add a platter of raw veggies with dip and you will be good to go!
More Chicken Soup Recipes
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock
- 3 tsp. chicken base Better than Bouillon brand is great
- 3 cups cooked chicken – cut into bite sized pieces, love to use rotisserie chicken here!
- 2 cups uncooked Kluski Noodles (heaping cups) – see notes
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for approx. 5-10 minutes until they are softening.2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 onion, 4 carrots, 3 stalks celery
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.3 cloves garlic
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.⅓ cup flour
- Gradually whisk in the 8 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes.8 cups chicken broth
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 more minutes or until the noodles are al dente.3 tsp. chicken base, 3 cups cooked chicken, 2 cups uncooked Kluski Noodles, 12 oz can evaporated milk, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. dried oregano, ½ tsp. pepper, ½ tsp. ground turmeric, ¼ tsp. dried thyme, ½ tsp. onion powder, ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Taste and season to taste if necessary. Serve immediately.
Storing & Reheating
- Keep any leftover creamy chicken noodle soup in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days.
- The soup will thicken in the fridge. You may need to add some additional stock/water/milk to reconstitute when reheating.
- Warm through in the microwave or on the stove top.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.