My Banana Bread Muffins are tender, delicious, and moist. They have the banana flavor that you love and just a hint of vanilla from the vanilla extract and vanilla Greek yogurt.
They make a perfect quick breakfast on-the-go, a lazy breakfast on the couch with coffee, a great after-school snack for the kids, or a little something special to throw in their lunch box.
You bought the bananas.
You bought a lot of bananas because last week your kids couldn’t get enough bananas!
This week they have decided they hate bananas and will only eat apples. Sound familiar?!?
Now you are left with a pile of over-ripe bananas that, at any minute, will start attracting fruit flies.
This is the time that you need my recipe for Banana Bread Muffins with Greek Yogurt.
Simple Recipe for Banana Bread Muffins
We have discussed this before, but let me say it again… I am not a profesh baker. So, when you see me baking on Mom’s Dinner, you know it is going to be an easy recipe!
This recipe for Banana Bread Muffins is no exception. Put away your stand mixers and your hand held mixers. All the stirring and blending is done by hand!
I told you, I keep it real simple.
You only need 3 bananas for this recipe, so if you have more than that I always recommend breaking them into 1 inch chunks and popping them into the freezer, they are perfect for morning smoothies!
Banana Bread Muffins Made a Little Healthier
By using a 1/3 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt in this recipe I am able to cut the traditional amount of butter in half, to just a 1/4 cup. The Greek yogurt adds great flavor and moisture to the muffins.
Yes, you can make this recipe into banana bread instead of muffins. It actually makes incredible banana bread; full of flavor, tender, and moist.
Simply prepare the batter as directed in the recipe, place the batter into a greased loaf pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the center is cooked through.
How to Make Banana Bread Muffins
This is a super simple recipe. All you need are 2 bowls, a fork, a mixing spatula, a mesh colander, and a muffin tin lined with paper liners.
Start by peeling the 3 over-ripe, medium sized bananas and placing them in a small bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash them down until they are pretty smooth and there are no large chunks remaining. You should have a little over 1 cup of mashed bananas. Set that aside for later.
In the other mixing bowl, stir together the vanilla Greek yogurt, butter, and sugar, until it is creamed together. Add the eggs, salt, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and stir by hand until all the ingredients are combined.
Put the mesh colander over the bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda into the banana mixture. Stir everything together just until all the flour is incorporated.
Scoop the banana bread mixture into the muffin tin that is lined with paper cups. Fill each cup about 2/3 full. This should give you between 15-18 muffins.
Pop it into the oven for about 14-16 minutes, until the muffins are cooked thru and golden brown on top.
Let the muffins cool before digging in… If you can wait!
Variations on This Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
I love a traditional Banana Bread Muffins, but if you want to add some extra flavors this recipe plays well with others.
So what can you put in your banana bread muffins? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- If you like nuts in your muffins, add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts.
- A 1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries would be delicious.
- Add 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips for an awesome chocolate chip banana bread muffin.
- If you do not have vanilla Greek yogurt you can also use plain Greek yogurt… or try one of the fun seasonal flavors that would work well with banana. For example, Chobani’s blended flavors: apple cinnamon, or pumpkin spice!
Banana Bread Muffins at Brunch
If you love this recipe for Banana Bread Muffins, here are some additional breakfast and brunch recipes from Mom’s Dinner:
- Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls with Orange Glaze
- Make Ahead Sausage Egg Cups
- Ham & Kale Egg Cups
- Spring Egg Cups
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
Ultimate Banana Bread Muffins with Greek Yogurt
- 4 tbsp butter, softened at room temp
- 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 over-ripe bananas, peeled and mashed will be a little over 1 cup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Peel the over-ripe bananas. Using the back of a fork mash the bananas until they are smooth and no large chunks are remaining. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl stir together the Greek yogurt, butter, and sugar until it is creamed together. Add the bananas, salt, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Place a fine mesh colander over the banana mixture bowl. Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into the mixture. Stir it into the batter just until all the flour is mixed in.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 14-16 minutes until the banana muffins are cooked thru and golden brown on the top.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before eating.Store in an air tight container, at room temperature, for up to 4 days.You can also store them in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To make this recipe into banana bread, Simply prepare the batter as directed in the recipe, place the batter into a greased loaf pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the center is cooked through.