Cranberry Orange muffins are a tender and moist muffin recipe that is full of fresh tart cranberries and sweetened with fresh orange zest, sugar, and cinnamon. The cinnamon sugar crumble topping really takes these muffins over the top!
These are the perfect muffin to make during the holidays when fresh cranberries are available. They would make the perfect addition to a Thanksgiving brunch or Christmas morning breakfast. You could also add these Greek Yogurt Banana Muffins and Sweet Cornbread Muffins!
Fresh cranberries are available in the US between October to December. They keep for a long time in the fridge – 3-4 weeks! So if you buy some in December you can make these cranberry muffins all the way into January.
Fresh cranberries are actually considered a superfood and have some great health benefits!
You could also make this recipe with frozen cranberries if you don’t have access to fresh. Use the same amount as the fresh. Do not thaw the cranberries, use them frozen!! Toss them lightly in flour before adding to the batter. That will help them not sink to the bottom of the muffin.
(note- I have not tested the recipe with frozen cranberries)
If you try the recipe with dried cranberries lessen the amount to 1 cup. Soak them in very hot water for about 10 minutes. Pat them dry and then toss them in a little flour before adding them to the batter.
(note- I have not tested the recipe with dried cranberries)
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these Cranberry Orange Muffins:
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Brown Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Orange (zest)
- Fresh Cranberries
- Pecans (optional)
Fresh made muffins can be stored at room temp in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
You could also freeze the muffins! Just let them cool completely and pop them in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temp overnight.
Cranberry Orange Muffin Recipe
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar, packed firmly
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk **see note
- 2 teaspoon fresh grated orange zest (about 1 large orange)
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries (see notes about frozen or dried cranberries)
- ½ cup chopped pecans – optional
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Fill a muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment beat the brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and orange zest together.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the brown sugar mixture and stir them, just until they come together. (Do not overmix or you will form too much gluten and have tough muffins!!)
- Fold in the fresh cranberries and pecans (if using).
- Spoon enough muffin batter into each muffin tin cup so that it is ¾ full. Set aside.
- In a small bowl make the topping – combine the melted butter, granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of topping over the batter in each tin. Divide it evenly among all the muffins
- Bake the muffins at 375° for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.
- Store the muffins at room temp in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.