Cajun Pasta is a delicious dinner that is made with penne pasta, peppers, onions, smoked beef sausage and lots of cajun seasonings. It all gets tossed in a creamy cajun sauce. This is such an easy dinner recipe it will be your new go-to Cajun Pasta Recipe!
There are quite a few options when it comes to cajun seasoning. The Louisiana Fish Fry Cajun Seasoning is the one that I like to use. But do note that if you use this brand it does contain salt, so you will not want to add additional salt to your dish.
If you choose a seasoning blend that does not contain salt you can add salt to taste.
If you like this seasoning you should also check out my recipes for Cajun Rice with Chicken & Sausage (Instant Pot), and Skillet Dirty Rice & Beans.
Cajun food is traditionally rural food born out of the swamp lands of Louisiana. It is the hearty comfort food that country folk would make for their families. The counterpart to cajun food is Creole. Creole food is more known for its blend of southern style with a European flair. It is also considered more of an urban cuisine.
A lot of cajun dishes also begin with what is known as the holy trinity: onions, celery, and peppers. In this Cajun Pasta Recipe we do utilize the onions and peppers, but no celery!
How to Make Cajun Pasta
Start by prepping your veggies and sausage. Slice the peppers and onions in similar sized strips. Cut your sausage into ½ inch rounds.
Boil a pot of salted water and cook the ½ pound of penne to al dente, following package instructions. Drain and set aside. It is best not to rinse your pasta because the starch will help thicken the sauce at the end.
In a large skillet (with high sides), over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the red onions, peppers, and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 mins. Add the sausage and cook for an additional minute.
Stir in the drained diced tomatoes, cooked pasta, 1 heaping teaspoon cajun seasoning, 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika, pinch of red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper for more heat), ½ teaspoon each – onion powder, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Stir around the pan for a minute to coat the pasta and warm the spices.
Add 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream and let it simmer over medium heat until the cream thickens and coats the pasta, about 5-10 minutes.
Taste for additional seasoning and serve!
If you love pasta for dinner here are a couple other recipes worth checking out!
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Cajun Pasta Recipe
- ½ lb. penne pasta cooked to al dente
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper sliced in strips, any color
- ½ red onion sliced in strips
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 12 oz fully cooked beef smoked sausage cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) cajun seasoning **see note about cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for more heat
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Cook pasta. Cook your penne pasta to al dente, per box instructions. Drain and set aside.½ lb. penne pasta
- Saute the peppers & onions in oil. In a large skillet (with high sides), over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the onions, peppers, and garlic for 4-5 minutes.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 bell pepper, ½ red onion, 3-4 garlic cloves
- Add all additional ingredients, except cream. Stir in the ½ lb. pasta, 12 oz. smoked beef sausage, 14.5 oz. drained diced tomatoes, 1 heaping teaspoon cajun seasoning, 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon onion pwd, garlic pwd, dried oregano, pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir for 1 minute to coat the pasta and warm the spices.14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, 12 oz fully cooked beef smoked sausage, 1 teaspoon (heaping) cajun seasoning, 1 teaspoon (heaping) smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, pinch red pepper flakes
- Stir the the heavy cream and simmer until thickened. Stir in 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream and simmer over medium heat until the cream has thickened and coated the pasta, about 5-10 minutes.1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Taste for seasonings & serve!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Made this as written tonight using quality sausage and it was a hit. Fed 3 of us with leftovers.