Cajun Pasta is a delicious dinner that is made with penne pasta, peppers, onions, smoked beef sausage and lots of cajun seasonings. It all gets tossed in a creamy cajun sauce. This is such an easy dinner recipe it will be your new go-to Cajun Pasta Recipe!
There are quite a few options when it comes to cajun seasoning. The Louisiana Fish Fry Cajun Seasoning is the one that I like to use. But do note that if you use this brand it does contain salt, so you will not want to add additional salt to your dish.
If you choose a seasoning blend that does not contain salt you can add salt to taste.
Cajun food is traditionally rural food born out of the swamp lands of Louisiana. It is the hearty comfort food that country folk would make for their families. The counterpart to cajun food is Creole. Creole food is more known for its blend of southern style with a European flair. It is also considered more of an urban cuisine.
A lot of cajun dishes also begin with what is known as the holy trinity: onions, celery, and peppers. In this Cajun Pasta Recipe we do utilize the onions and peppers, but no celery!
How to Make Cajun Pasta
Start by prepping your veggies and sausage. Slice the peppers and onions in similar sized strips. Cut your sausage into 1/2 inch rounds.
Boil a pot of salted water and cook the 1/2 pound of penne to al dente, following package instructions. Drain and set aside. It is best not to rinse your pasta because the starch will help thicken the sauce at the end.
In a large skillet (with high sides), over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Saute the red onions, peppers, and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 mins. Add the sausage and cook for an additional minute.
Stir in the drained diced tomatoes, cooked pasta, 1 heaping tsp cajun seasoning, 1 heaping tsp smoked paprika, pinch of red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper for more heat), 1/2 tsp each – onion powder, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Stir around the pan for a minute to coat the pasta and warm the spices.
Add 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream and let it simmer over medium heat until the cream thickens and coats the pasta, about 5-10 minutes.
Taste for additional seasoning and serve!
Cajun Pasta Recipe
Cajun Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 lb. penne pasta cooked to al dente
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper sliced in strips, any color
- 1/2 red onion sliced in strips
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 12 oz fully cooked beef smoked sausage cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp (heaping) cajun seasoning **see note about cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp (heaping) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for more heat
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Cook pasta. Cook your penne pasta to al dente, per box instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Saute the peppers & onions in oil. In a large skillet (with high sides), over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and saute the onions, peppers, and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Add all additional ingredients, except cream. Stir in the 1/2 lb. pasta, 12 oz. smoked beef sausage, 14.5 oz. drained diced tomatoes, 1 heaping tsp cajun seasoning, 1 heaping tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp onion pwd, garlic pwd, dried oregano, pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir for 1 minute to coat the pasta and warm the spices.
- Stir the the heavy cream and simmer until thickened. Stir in 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream and simmer over medium heat until the cream has thickened and coated the pasta, about 5-10 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings & serve!
If you love pasta for dinner here are a couple other recipes worth checking out!