These Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect moist cake bar that has delicious spiced pumpkin flavor, it is topped with the best Cream Cheese Frosting recipe I have ever had (which is my grandma’s frosting recipe, it is also used on this carrot cake recipe.). It makes a great dessert or snack cake with a cup of coffee!
I swear as soon as it moves from August to September everyone is ready for sweaters, fireplaces and all things pumpkin! This is a SUPER easy recipe to fill that pumpkin craving!
This recipe is based off of Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Bars.
For this recipe you will be using canned pumpkin. Make sure that you get 100% pure pumpkin puree. You do not want to buy Pumpkin Pie Mix.
How to Make Pumpkin Bars
Start with a hand mixer or stand mixer and combine the eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin puree.
In a separate bowl or on a sheet of parchment sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda
Pro Tip: if you sift onto a sheet of parchment you can pick it up by grabbing both sides and make a little slide/tube to easily pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient bowl.
Mix the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture.
Pour the pumpkin batter into a 9×13 greased pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until done in the center.
Let the bars cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Pro Tip: It is very important that your cream cheese frosting ingredients are at room temperature, or you will have lumpy frosting that has chunks of butter and/or cream cheese.
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand held mixer combine all the ingredients: room temp butter, room temp cream cheese, powder sugar, and vanilla.
Tips for Frosting the Bars
The easiest way to frost bars and cakes is with an offset spatula.
A great tip when frosting really moist bars or cake is starting with about ⅓ of the frosting. This will be called the “crumb layer”. It may get a few crumbs in it, but that is ok because you will cover it with the remaining frosting in the pretty layer.
To get the big swoops and swishes in your frosting first frost the bars with an offset spatula or knife, then finish with the back of a spoon to create beautiful texture (see photo below).
Store covered at room temp for up to 4-5 days.
Other Bar Recipes to Try
Whether you are having house guests, it’s the holidays, or your are just feeling snacky, here are some other great bar desserts to try:
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Pumpkin Bar Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 eggs
- 1 ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- non-stick spray
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter at room temp
- 8 oz cream cheese softened at room temp
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon OPTIONAL
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prep a 9×13 baking dish with baking spray or oil.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or using a hand held mixer), combine the 4 eggs, 1 ⅔ cups sugar, 1 cup vegetable oil and the can of pumpkin. Blend until it is creamy and combined.
- In a separate bowl or on a sheet of parchment paper, sift together the 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the pumpkin mixture and blend, just until it all comes together. Don't overmix.
- Pour into the prepared 9×13 baking pan.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes at 350°.
- Let the bars cool completely before frosting, or the frosting will melt right off!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, combine all the cream cheese frosting ingredients and mix until it is completely blended and smooth.Note- it is very important that your butter and cream cheese are at room temp!!!
- Make sure the cake is completely cooled before frosting!
- Store your pumpkin bars at room temperature, covered, for up to 4-5 days.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
I made these for my Friendsgiving and they were SUCH a hit! Moist, flavorful, and that cream cheese frosting is ridiculous. Planning to bring these to both family gatherings now!
Looks sweet & yummy.
So moist and tender and a perfect flavor that isn’t too overpowering with pumpkin! And the cream cheese frosting was TO DIE FOR! Loved this recipe and will make again!