This will be one of the best Blueberry Crumble desserts you will ever have! It is easy to make and has the great flavor. The blueberries are mixed with just the right amount of sugar and lemon and the crumble topping is a blend of oats, pecans and brown sugar with amazing texture. When you add a little ice cream it takes it over the top!
RELATED: Blueberry Galette
Why This is Excellent
- It is as easy and mixing the blueberries, mixing the top, then baking!
- Makes an amazing dessert for any summer dinner (especially BBQ).
- Great to make when blueberries are in season (Summer: May-mid August).
- You probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already!
You probably have most of the ingredients you need to make this Blueberry Crumble, right in your pantry or baking cabinet.
Butter– make sure your butter is cold. You can pop it in the freezer for a few minutes while you prepare all the other ingredients.
Blueberries – Fresh blueberries are in season from May – mid August. If there is a U-Pick blueberry farm nearby it is a fun family activity and this dessert is the perfect way to use up some of your berries.
Step by Step Picture Instructions
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Also prep a 9×9 baking dish with non- stick spray.
In a large bowl stir together the blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, kosher salt, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Now mix together your crumble topping ingredients – flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
Cut the butter into the oat mixture with a pastry cutter, two forks, two knives, or just your clean hands, until you have a coarse crumbly mixture.
Pro Tip: This is a great video showing how to cut butter into flour.
Pour the blueberries into the prepared baking dish, top with the flour/oat mixture.
Pro Tip: if your 9×9 pan is shallow and the filling almost goes to the top, place it on a rimmed baking sheet so your berries don’t spill over into your oven.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Let the Blueberry Crumble cool for about 20 minutes and then you can serve it topped with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
You can also make this recipe with frozen blueberries, although there may be a bit more liquid than with fresh.
- non-stick or baking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prep a 9×9 baking dish with baking spray.
- In a large bowl combine all the filling ingredients together and stir so the berries are coated in the sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine these crumble ingredients – flour, oats, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt. Stir so everything is well mixed.
- Now with a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the butter into the flour/oat mixture, until a coarse crumb forms.
- To assemble pour the blueberry mixture into the prepared 9×9 pan. Top with the flour/oat crumble mixture. Pro Tip: if your 9×9 pan is almost full to the top, place it on a rimmed baking sheet so the berries don't bubble over into your oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes, and then serve with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.