Believe it or not a Traditional Paloma doesn’t always have to include fresh grapefruit juice. In Mexico a Paloma is generally made with one part Silver Tequila to three parts grapefruit soda (Jarritos is the most common brand used in Mexico). It is meant to be a refreshing sparkling cocktail that is easy to make.
Did you also know that a Paloma is the national drink of Mexico!?
Now if you want a more boujee version of a Paloma you can check out this Rosemary Paloma or if you want something made with real grapefruit juice check out this Fresh Grapefruit Paloma.
Or a fun tequila cocktail you may not heard of, that is similar to the paloma, is a Cantarito. It is served in fun clay cups called Jarrito de Barro!
Jarritos is the soda most commonly used in Mexico for traditional palomas. It is a mild grapefruit soda.
Here in the United States I can find it at my local Wal-Mart. Sometimes I can find it at a local grocery store in the aisle with other Mexican products.
If you cannot find Jarritos, Squirt Soda will work as a sub.
More Tequila Cocktails
If you are new to Mom’s Dinner then you might not know that Tequila Cocktails are our JAM! Here are some other tequila based drinks you should check out asap:
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
- 2 oz silver tequila (also called Blanco tequila)
- 5 oz grapefruit soda Jarritos is traditional, see notes for other brands
- kosher salt and a grapefruit or lime wedge
- Run a grapefruit wedge or lime wedge around the rim of a tall cocktail glass. Dip lightly in kosher salt.
- Add ice, filling it to the rim.
- Pour in 2 oz silver tequila and then top with 5 oz grapefruit soda. Give it a light stir.
- Garnish with a fresh grapefruit or lime wedge.
For larger quantities:
- To make more than one paloma simply follow the rule of 1 part tequila to 3 parts grapefruit soda. Example for a pitcher: 1 cup tequila mixed with 3 cups grapefruit soda.
- Jose Cuervo Traditional $
- Cazadores $$
- Espolon $$
- Casamigos $$$
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
We would love to have you comment & rate the recipe!