Tequila is one of my go-to mixers when I want to have a cocktail. I like the salty flavor of tequila, I love a shot of tequila followed by salt and a lime, and I love a tequila mixed drink. However I don’t always love a super sweet drink, like a margarita.
That is one reason I really love this recipe for Rosemary Palomas. It has the salty tequila flavor that I love, mixed with a tart grapefruit juice and just a hint of sweetness from the rosemary infused Triple Sec.
The rosemary flavor in this cocktail is just a hint of piney earthiness. It has just the right amount of rosemary flavor to compliment the salty tequila and tart grapefruit.
I had a drink similar to this Rosemary Paloma at a restaurant here in Kansas City. Their version had a rosemary infused simple syrup and a smoked rosemary swizzle. I will not be smoking rosemary in my kitchen… nor will I ask you to!
What is a Paloma?
A Paloma is a tequila based drink that is usually mixed with some sort of grapefruit soda. It is served on the rocks. Adding a lime wedge and salt on the rim is optional.
How to Make a Rosemary Paloma
Start by infusing the Triple Sec with fresh rosemary.
Over low heat in a small sauce pan bruise one or two rosemary sprigs with the handle of a wooden spoon or a drink muddler. Add a 1/2 cup of the triple sec to the pan and warm for 5-10 minutes (add more triple sec and rosemary if you are making a lot of drinks). Do not let it simmer or boil, you just want it to warm thru.
Set that aside and let it cool.
Squeeze the juice from 1-2 fresh grapefruits. Remove any seeds that are in the juice.
If you are making a lot of cocktails for a party then I recommend finding a good bottled grapefruit juice that does not have sugar added, so you still get the tartness of the grapefruit. Then garnish the glass with fresh cut grapefruit wedges.
In a glass filled with ice add 1 part tequila, 2 parts grapefruit juice, and 1 part rosemary infused triple sec.
Add a fresh rosemary sprig to the glass as a garnish and swizzle stick.
I hope you give this recipe for my Rosemary Paloma a try in your kitchen.
- 1 part silver tequila
- 2 parts fresh grapefruit juice *see note
- 1 part rosemary infused Triple Sec
- fresh rosemary sprig- for garnish and swizzle
Rosemary Infused Triple Sec
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
Rosemary Infused Triple Sec
- Place 1-2 fresh rosemary sprigs in a small pan over low heat. Bruise the rosemary by tamping it with the handle of a wooden spoon or a drink muddler. Add 1/2 cup Triple Sec and let it warm with the rosemary for 5-10 minutes. Do not let it simmer or boil. (Note: 1/2 cup will make a few cocktails. To make a lot of drinks add more triple sec and a few more rosemary sprigs)Let the mixture cool slightly then discard the rosemary sprig.
- In a glass full of ice mix one part tequila, two parts fresh grapefruit juice, and one part rosemary infused Triple Sec. Garnish with a fresh rosemary sprig.