Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken is a little spicy mixed with herbs and seasonings to make the best buffalo chicken sandwiches! Chicken (fresh or frozen!) is cooked in an Insta-Meal tangy buffalo sauce, shredded, and mixed with ranch seasoning and cream cheese for the most flavorful buffalo chicken made in the Instant Pot.
I can’t even type or read “buffalo” without my mouth watering. I love the vinegar tang of buffalo sauce as well as the subtle heat tingle that lingers on your lips! And if you are reading this post, then I am guessing you feel the same.
Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
The very best way to use this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken is heaped in a bun for buffalo chicken sandwiches, IMO. Top them with a little blue cheese crumble and some ranch dressing for a delicious dinner straight from your Instant Pot. You could also use this chicken for:
- buffalo chicken wraps
- buffalo chicken served over rice (or cauliflower rice)
- spicy chicken tacos
- buffalo chicken dip- just mix ½ the chicken in an extra 4 oz. cream cheese and some monterey jack cheese, pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Use Fresh or Frozen Chicken
How often do you forget to thaw the chicken to make dinner?? Totally guilty over here!
That is one reason I love recipes for the Instant Pot- you can use your frozen chicken, and with just a little extra time it comes out just as great as fresh chicken. You can use fresh or frozen chicken in this buffalo chicken recipe. Both instructions are below in the recipe card. (also check out this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup if you always forgetting to thaw your chicken)
Insta-Meal, Instant Pot Sauce
I have partnered with Insta-Meal Sauces on this post. All opinions are my own! This post also contains affiliate links.
One of the secrets to this amazing buffalo chicken recipe is the Insta-Meal Tangy Buffalo sauce that is made specifically for your Instant Pot! (bonus Insta-Meal is a family owned, KC local company)
If you love to use your Instant Pot then you should definitely check out these sauces. They take the guesswork out of using sauces and liquids in your Instant Pot.
The sauces come in 3 flavors:
You can check out some other wonderful recipe using the sauces here: Instant Pot Teriyaki Beef Noodles, Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili, Instant Pot Taco Pasta
How to Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
Grab 2 lbs. of either fresh or frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. Place them in your Instant Pot (if you are using frozen make sure the breasts are not in one big block, they will not cook through that way. You may need to run a little warm water over them to separate). Pour the entire bottle of Insta-Meal Tangy Buffalo Sauce over the chicken.
Fresh: if you are using fresh chicken set the Instant Pot to cook on pressure mode, on high, for 10 minutes
Frozen: if you are using frozen chicken set the Instant Pot to cook on pressure mode, on high, for 15 minutes.
After the cooking time is through, do a quick release of pressure by turning the pressure valve to “vent”.
Remove the chicken from the pot, leaving the liquid behind. Shred the chicken using two forks. (Kitchen Tip- I like to shred my chicken on a rimmed sheet pan, that way any liquid on or in the chicken won’t run all over your countertops) Set the chicken aside, and make the buffalo sauce.
Back at the Instant Pot, set it to saute mode. Whisk in the ranch dressing powder mix packet, and the cream cheese until it is completely incorporated. You can turn the saute mode off.
Add the shredded chicken, celery, and green onions to the sauce. Give it a stir to coat the chicken with the sauce completely.
Make Ahead & Storage
This buffalo chicken can absolutely be made ahead. You can make it up to 4 days in advance and store in the fridge.
The buffalo chicken is great warm, cold, or at room temp.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts fresh or frozen
- 12.5 oz Bottle Insta-Meal Buffalo Sauce
- 1 1 oz. packet Ranch dressing mix (powder)
- 1 cup celery chopped
- ⅓ cup green onions chopped, white and light green parts
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp.
- optional for serving:
- buns, blue cheese crumbles, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, lettuce, extra chopped green onions blue cheese, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, lettuce, extra chopped green onions
- Place the *chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, in one layer. Pour the entire bottle of Insta-Meal Tangy Buffalo Sauce over the chicken.
- *for fresh chicken set the IP to Meat/Stew, high pressure, for 10 minutes.*for frozen chicken set the IP to Meat/Stew, high pressure, for 15 minutes. Make sure the frozen chicken breasts are separated and not in one big block.
- After the cooking time is up, do a quick release of pressure. Remove the chicken breasts from the pot, leaving the sauce behind. Shred the chicken breasts with two forks, and set aside.
- With the pot on saute mode, whisk the powder ranch dressing mix packet into the buffalo sauce, then stir in the cream cheese until it is completely melted and incorporated.
- Add the chicken, celery and onions to the sauce mixture and stir to coat the chicken completely.
- The mixture will thicken as it sits.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
If you like this recipe, you might like these too!
- Insta-Meal Tangy Buffalo Sauce
- Homemade Jalapeno Tequila
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- Instant Pot Cajun Rice with Chicken and Sausage
This was great. I added a can of white beans some cilantro and a bit of sour cream. Yum !
Our chicken was still completely frozen on the inside, so I’d suggest a different cooking time.
Hmmm, I’m surprised and I’m so sorry that happened! 15 minutes pressure cook is plenty of time for chicken breasts to cook from frozen. Were they frozen together in one block? You definitely want to make sure they are separated as noted in the recipe.
Is the chicken on the trivet of not? Thank you
Just in the pot, not on the trivet.
Yum! Love that the sauce makes this so easy, no measuring!
This looks super tasty!! I can’t wait to give it a try! It’s all delicious ingredients 🙂
Thank you! Report back when you make it. If you share pics on social media, tag me (facebook @momsdinnerblog and on Instagram @momsdinnerinsta), would love to see what you make.
I made these for my fiance and he loved it! Thanks for another great recipe!