My Favorite Chicken Enchiladas
This Chicken Enchilada recipe is fool proof and 100% delicious. Full of tender chicken, garlic, onions, cilantro, tangy enchilada sauce and lots of ooey gooey cheese!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded or finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, cut in a small dice
- 3 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 10 ounce cans red mild enchilada sauce, divided For saucier enchiladas use a 3rd can (I prefer Target, Market Pantry Red Enchilada Sauce)
- 10-12 tortillas - flour (fajita size) or corn
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 green onions, chopped- white and light green parts only
Preheat the oven to 350.
In a large non-stick skillet saute the onions and garlic in the oil over medium heat. About 5 minutes until the onions are slightly translucent.
Add the cooked chicken, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, red pepper flakes, cilantro and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce. Stir to coat the chicken with all the seasonings and sauce.
Prepare a 9x13 glass baking dish by pouring the remaining 2/3 of the opened can of enchilada sauce to the bottom of the pan.
Now set up an assembly line for your enchiladas. Tortillas, chicken filling, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and the prepared pan.
Place a few spoonfuls of chicken down the center of one tortilla and top with a few pinches of cheese. Roll the tortilla over the filling and lay it, seam side down, in the prepared pan. Continue this process until all the tortillas and filling are used. You will have 10-12 enchiladas.
Top the rolled enchiladas with the remaining can of sauce, remaining cup of cheese and all the green onions.
Cover the pan with foil and place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
Let the Chicken Enchiladas cool for about 5 minutes before serving.