Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Roast
Tender chicken thighs are slow braised with vegetables in a savory and creamy gravy flavored with garlic, rosemary, and bay leaves. The final dish is garnished with crispy french fried onions.
Servings 6 people
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped into large rough pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into large coins
- 2 celery ribs, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 4 red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 turnip, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4-5 cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp chicken base (optional) could use 1 chicken bouillon cube instead
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.In a large dutch oven over medium heat saute the chicken pieces in the oil until they are just cooked on the outside (they do not need to be cooked thru. Remove them from the pot and set aside. In the dutch oven, over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir or whisk until it is combined, about 1 minute. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Simmer the broth over medium high heat until it begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in the heavy whipping cream. Next add the salt, pepper, rosemary sprigs, bay leaves, vegetables and chicken.
Place the lid on the dutch oven and place in the preheated oven for 90 minutes.
Let the pot sit for 10 minutes, then remove the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs before serving. Serve with french fried onion garnish.
Make the garnish while the Chicken Pot Roast cools.Spread the french fried onions on a cookie sheet and bake in the 300 degree oven for 4-5 minutes, until they are golden and crispy.Serve them in a bowl on the table so everyone can garnish their own.