VERDE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Delicious chicken enchiladas with a verde enchilada sauce. This easy enchilada recipe make a great Mexican dinner. They are full of a creamy mixture of chicken, onions, cilantro, black beans, and cheese, rolled in easy-to-use flour tortillas and smothered in cheese and sauce.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts cooked, chopped (I like to use rotisserie chicken for ease and flavor)
- 15 oz can black beans drained
- ½ cup onion finely diced **(see note)
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 2½ cups pepper jack cheese grated, divided (can sub other cheese per preference)
- 10-14 flour tortillas fajita or soft taco size
- 1 28 oz can green enchilada sauce
- Additional chopped cilantro can be used for garnish.
**ONION NOTE- For super fast prep I dice the onions very small and throw them in uncooked. They will cook a little in the oven but will still have a very tiny bite to them- which we like. If you cannot stand an undercooked onion, saute your onion in a little olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes before adding them to the enchilada filling.
Preheat the oven to 350.
In a large bowl combine the chicken, black beans, onion, cilantro, green chilies, mushroom soup, and ½ cup cheese. Stir until well mixed.
Pour 1½ cup of verde enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
Divide the chicken filling evenly among the flour tortillas. Roll them up and lay each one seam side down in the 9x13 pan. (If you have 14+ enchiladas you may have to use an additional smaller pan to fit all the enchiladas)
Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups of cheese.
Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking an additional 10 minutes.
To make ahead: Prepare the enchilada pan with 1 1/2 cups of sauce. Mix together the filling and roll into the tortillas. Lay the enchiladas in the 9x13 pan but do not add the cheese and sauce on the top.
Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you are ready to bake, top with the sauce and cheese.
Be aware you may need to add 5 minutes to the cooking time.