Sloppy Joe Casserole is a great family friendly dinner recipe. It is a mix of Sloppy Joe seasoned ground beef with mixed vegetables, all baked over a biscuit crust, and topped with cheddar cheese.
It is a simple dinner because you already have your vegetable, protein, starch, and dairy all in one dish. No need to make a side dish with this dinner casserole.
How to Make Sloppy Joe Casserole
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet or cast iron pan, over medium heat, saute the onions in olive oil until they become translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef and garlic. Brown the ground beef, crumbling while cooking, until it is cooked through.
Turn the heat to low and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and brown sugar until it becomes a nice sauce, coating the ground beef and onions. Stir in 1 cup of frozen mixed veggies and then set the beef mixture off the heat.
Prepare a glass 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
Open a tube of 8 count store-bought biscuit dough. Lightly flatten the biscuits by pressing them between your fingers. Lay the biscuits in the prepared pan, making a crust for the casserole. Prick the crust/biscuits with a fork so the biscuits do not rise too much while cooking. See the photo below for reference:
Bake the crust for 7 minutes.
Remove the casserole crust from the oven and pour in the ground beef/veggie mixture. Top with 1 cup of cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes, then serve!
Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 lbs. ground beef 93/7
- 3 plump garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 (heaping) cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 8 count jumbo buttermilk biscuits store-bought
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute the diced onions for about 5 minutes until they are softened and translucent.Add the garlic and ground beef. Cook the ground beef through, crumble while cooking. Drain any excess grease, but you shouldn't have too much if you use 93/7 ground beef.
- Turn the heat to low and stir the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper into the ground beef mixture. Stir in the mixed vegetables. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Lightly spray an 8×8 glass baking dish with baking/cooking spray. Open the biscuits and lightly flatten each biscuit between your fingers. Press the biscuits in the bottom and on the sides of the baking dish, making a crust. Lightly prick the biscuit crust with a fork. See photo for reference.Bake the crust for 7 minutes.
- Remove the crust and spread the beef/veggie mix on top. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then serve.
If you love this recipe definitely check out my recipe for Sloppy Joe Sandwiches too!