I have always had a hard time trusting egg recipes online. It seems they come out tasteless or they don’t cook all the way thru or the recipe calls for way too much bread.
Ham & Kale Egg Cups is a recipe you can trust 100% of the time. It has never failed me! It is full of flavor from the garlic and onion powder. The eggs cook thru and are fluffy and light. It is deliciously cheesy. The ham gives it the perfect saltiness that is balanced out by the freshness of the kale.
You cannot miss by making these Ham & Kale Egg Cups. Foolproof!
To be totally honest I have never made this recipe for breakfast or brunch. We have always had these for dinner. However, it is a perfect recipe to use for a weekend brunch. You can even make them ahead just like my Make Ahead Sausage Egg Cups.
I would serve a plate of assorted pastries from your favorite bakery (or my cranberry orange sweet rolls if you feel like going the extra mile) fresh fruit, breakfast potatoes, and my Cranberry Wine Spritzer.
You will be the queen of brunch!
Kid Friendly Ham & Kale Egg Cups
I think I have said before that making my kids eat kale is not a battle that I am willing to take on. I think when I was 5 I would have barfed if my parents made me eat kale.
Kudos to you if your kids love it, they are going to LOVE these egg cups!
However, if you are part of my “kids hate kale” group, it’s an easy fix. Just leave a little ham separate from the wilted kale. When you assemble the egg cups make a few with only ham and cheese. This version is delicious too and even my super picky kids like them!
Breakfast for Dinner
We love having breakfast for dinner at our house. It is one meal I know everyone will like and most melt downs will be averted.
If it is busy weeknight I will pair Ham & Kale Egg Cups with fresh fruit and some kind of store bought pancake or waffle. When I have a little more time on the weekend I will add a hash brown or breakfast potato.
Make Ahead Ham & Kale Egg Cups
The very best part about these egg cups, besides the flavor, is that you can make them ahead. Truly they seem to get better with time!
Just prepare and cook the egg cups. After they cool, place them in a 9×13 pan, cover with foil, and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you are ready to have them remove the foil and place them in a 350 oven for 15 minutes. Done!
I hope you give these delicious Ham & Kale Egg Cups a try in your kitchen!
Ham & Kale Egg Cups
- 1 1/2 cups ham diced (I buy a bone-in ham steak)
- 2 cups kale firmly packed, ribs removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup green onions chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Prep your muffin tin with baking spray or prepare with oil.
- Over medium low heat saute the kale, green onions, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the oil until the kale starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ham and cook for an additional minute. Set aside
- Whisk the eggs, cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder until it is well mixed and smooth.
- In your prepared muffin tin divide the kale mixture evenly into each cup. Pour the egg mixture over the kale and ham, filling each cup about 3/4 the way up the side. Divide the cheese evenly over the tops of the egg cups, pressing it lightly into the eggs.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the egg cups cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin. To remove, run a sharp knife around the edge of each cup.