Thoughts of pomegranate, cinnamon, and orange danced in my head…. mix that with a little red wine, pour over ice and you have the perfect recipe for a great cocktail- Winter Sangria!
This recipe manifested because I needed a cocktail to take to a holiday party- a drink contest holiday party! The vodka or rum drinks I was considering didn’t really appealed to me at the time. I love drinking wine but the party instructions specifically said “make a drink” not “open a bottle”. I thought about sangria but, to me, that is more of a summer drink. Mulled wine was also an option – but I did not want to drink HOT wine all night. Indecisive much?! Well, out of that indecisiveness my recipe for Winter Sangria was born.
Winter Sangria Special Ingredients
95% of the ingredients in Winter Sangria are things you either have on hand or are easily found at the nearest grocery or liquor store. However, there is one item used in this recipe that you may not already own, Mulling Spices
I cannot tell you how much I love mulling spices!
They are not only great for making mulled wine, winter sangria and apple cider, they make a wonderful whole house potpourri. I simmer them in a pot of water on the stove or on low in my small crock pot. It perfumes the ENTIRE house with the most festive scents of cinnamon, clove, apple, and citrus.
If you do not have time to order mulling spices and you cannot find them in the store, you can pull together similar ingredients from the spice section in your grocery store. Here is what you will need:
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Clove
- 2 Star Anise
- Optional- 1 slice of Fresh Ginger
PS. (IF you are reading this in real-time and have and Aldi nearby I had a HUGE score and found some mulling spices as a seasonal item for around $3.00/tin, I will definitely be going back for more.) #stockpile
I hope you will give Winter Sangria a try this Holiday Season!
- 2- 750ml Bottles Merlot **
- ¾ cup Apple Juice
- 1 cup Pomegranate Juice (I use Pom Wonderful)
- 2 tablespoons Mulling Spices
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Orange Rind. Peeled from 1 Orange
- ½ cup Triple Sec
- Fruit cut into small wedges: 2 oranges, 1 granny smith apple, 1 firm red apple (ie.pink lady, honey crisp)
- In a large pot combine the wine, apple juice, pomegranate juice, mulling spices, sugar, and orange rind. Warm over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!!! (You shouldn't have to worry about it boiling if you keep it over low heat.)
- Turn the heat off and let the wine mixture cool on the stove for 5-10 mins.
- Strain the wine mixture thru a colander into a large pitcher. Dispose of the mulling spices and orange rinds.
- Stir the triple sec and fruit wedges into the pitcher of wine.
- Put the sangria in the fridge for 5 hours up to 24 hours. The longer it sits in the fridge the more flavorful it becomes.
- Room Temperature- Take the wine out of the fridge an hour before serving and let it come to room temp. Pour into glasses and add a few pieces fruit from the pitcher.
- Cold- Serve it straight out of the fridge over ice. Add a little fruit to each glass.
Save Winter Sangria recipe for later! Pin it here: