Chicken Chili, white chicken chili, chili with white beans, chili blanco de pollo. Whatever you call it, I call it delicious! Especially this recipe. It has a mexican flavor twist that I LOVE!!! It gets a ton of flavor personality from the lime zest, lime juice, green chilies, lots of garlic, and corn tortillas. However the chili powder and cumin keep it grounded to it’s traditional chili roots. I use 2 cans of white northern beans and puree one of the cans to give the soup a little body. It will thicken as it sits in your fridge. So if you have leftovers you may want to add a little water or broth to loosen it up.
I took this pot of soup with me on my last mom’s night out (aka MNO). Once in awhile I need to get together with my good girlfriends to relax, laugh, and realize I am not the only one with crazy kids! A MNO with my friends requires sweatpants and dirty hair… and if you’re really having a week one girlfriend says “I see your sweatpants and raise you one pair of pajama pants”. And I love that! On this night we put on some good music, made big limey margaritas, had delicious chili, and shared our current life dilemmas and celebrations. It was the recharge that this mom needed- especially right before my kids spring break!
When I serve this at home, sans margaritas, we like to have it “loaded chili” style. I chop up cilantro, avocado, tomatoes and put out cheese and sour cream. Everyone can make it exactly how they like it.
Actually, we use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It saves on calories and tastes EXACTLY the same. I have even used it in baking and it totally works… I digress! Definitely give it a try.
I hope you give this white chicken chili a try in your kitchen! Follow the recipe below or watch the how to video here.
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- (1) 4oz can green chilies
- 6 cups Chicken Stock, homemade recipe here
- (2) 15oz cans Northern Beans, drained, divided
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 3 corn tortillas, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot add the oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, and green chilies. Cook over medium heat until the onions become translucent and the peppers and celery begin to soften, about 6-8 minutes. Add the spices, lime zest, and lime juice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk the chicken stock into the onion/pepper mixture. Let it simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes to warm thru.
- Meanwhile, add one can of drained northern beans and ¼ cup of the chicken stock (just take it out of the pot) to a food processor or blender. Process until the beans are smooth.
- Whisk the pureed beans into the soup until fully incorporated. Next, add the drained can of whole northern beans, rotisserie chicken, and corn tortillas. Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Right before serving add the frozen corn and let it warm thru, about 5 minutes.
- Optional toppings for serving: avocado, cilantro, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, cheese, tomatoes, onion,